Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Kalahari"

'KALAHARI' 60' X 60' OIL AND BEESWAX ON PANEL

BAOBAB TREE IN BOTSWANA

Painting when you feel different creates different paintings. I wanted to make a painting that felt like but not necessarily was a representation of the feeling of Botswana. The rawness and extreme earthiness of the place was what I was after. I cannot look at this painting without it reminding me of Africa. This painting came very easily. The palette here is different for me. 

I kept asking people in Botswana how old are these magnificent trees were...no one seemed to know as no one has ever been alive long enough to see one die from old age. It's possible these trees are several thousand years old. This one tree was here when the pyramids were being built. It has a hole in it half way up that was used as a kind of post office so early explorers could leave messages that would be taken back to Europe by others who happened to pass on their return home.

6 comments:

Rebecca Crowell said...

Hi Nicholas,
I just came across your blog and I'm enjoying looking through your work and also at your website. I love this painting, very rich and evocative. I bet you will be fueled by that experience in Botswana for a long time.
Rebecca

Harry Diaz said...

I met your friend Noah (Woods). He is very nice! up to recently I was only familiar with your illustration work. These paintings are very nice!

Nicholas Wilton said...

Rebecca-Yes it's amazing how spending a month surrounded by new colors and textures translates into new work. I wasn't doing any artwork while there but it just kind of soaked in. I checked out your work, by the way and I love it! Nick

Nicholas Wilton said...

Harry, Noah is a great friend of mine...thanks for checking out my work...Nick

ArtPropelled said...

Wonderful trees, Boababs! In Zimbabwe the have a little pub within the trunk of a Boabab. I love your painting!

Nicholas Wilton said...

Robyn, I fell in love with those trees! I love your blog..so refreshing to see all those different artists--I love the interiors and the artists studios. The tree of life sculpture is way cool..now I can't stop thinking about it...