Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Kalahari"

'KALAHARI' 60' X 60' OIL AND BEESWAX ON PANEL

BAOBAB TREE IN BOTSWANA

Painting when you feel different creates different paintings. I wanted to make a painting that felt like but not necessarily was a representation of the feeling of Botswana. The rawness and extreme earthiness of the place was what I was after. I cannot look at this painting without it reminding me of Africa. This painting came very easily. The palette here is different for me. 

I kept asking people in Botswana how old are these magnificent trees were...no one seemed to know as no one has ever been alive long enough to see one die from old age. It's possible these trees are several thousand years old. This one tree was here when the pyramids were being built. It has a hole in it half way up that was used as a kind of post office so early explorers could leave messages that would be taken back to Europe by others who happened to pass on their return home.

8 comments:

Rebecca Crowell said...

Hi Nicholas,
I just came across your blog and I'm enjoying looking through your work and also at your website. I love this painting, very rich and evocative. I bet you will be fueled by that experience in Botswana for a long time.
Rebecca

Harry Diaz said...

I met your friend Noah (Woods). He is very nice! up to recently I was only familiar with your illustration work. These paintings are very nice!

Nicholas Wilton said...

Rebecca-Yes it's amazing how spending a month surrounded by new colors and textures translates into new work. I wasn't doing any artwork while there but it just kind of soaked in. I checked out your work, by the way and I love it! Nick

Nicholas Wilton said...

Harry, Noah is a great friend of mine...thanks for checking out my work...Nick

Robyn said...

Wonderful trees, Boababs! In Zimbabwe the have a little pub within the trunk of a Boabab. I love your painting!

Nicholas Wilton said...

Robyn, I fell in love with those trees! I love your blog..so refreshing to see all those different artists--I love the interiors and the artists studios. The tree of life sculpture is way cool..now I can't stop thinking about it...

11 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色

jiang said...

The most memorable thomas sabo jewellery moment of life is engagement thomas jewellery occasion that comes in the pandora bracelets life of every people once in their lifetime. At this occasion, they pandora jewellery make promise to live together in every situation of the life and also pandora australia will share distress and blessed pandora bracelets moment of life together. There are a number pandora bracelet of questions popping in your mind that why only rings on engagement and not other jewelries pandora charms like earrings, locket and necklace. Answer thomas sabo australia is simple, the shape of ring is circular that define thomas sabo that love has neither beginning nor sabo jewellery end that why only rings are presented on engagement occasion.